2.12.2008

Your Thoughts on Alleys

our stretch of alley



So, I would like to know what you do or don't like about alleys. What makes them interesting, magical, scary, useful, blighted, fun, inviting, etc? The alley at our (Aaron's really) apartment downtown is somewhat dismal. It seems to have so much potential, as any alley would, and so we are coming up with a plan to talk first to the owners of property along the one block stretch of alleyway we use, then get the interested community in on it, generate some input, draw some things up, research good and bad, new and old, look up the regulations on getting this thing through the city, find innovative ways of getting this funded, and having a lot of fun doing something that we both have professional experience in and a personal connection to. We'll be moving into another apartment in the same little complex soon, keeping us in place a bit longer and able to follow this through. So, your thoughts on alleys?

alleys elsewhere









3 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

plants, plants and more plants. color some art painted on the buildings or somekind of architectual interest make for good alleys. trash cans, dark spaces, and concrete make for bad alleys.

Ms. Sassy to You! said...

I actually really like alleys. When someone says "alley" for some reason my mind reverts to the old skool New York movies. Like A Bronx Tale or even West Side Story. People hanging out over their windows and looking out over the City or sitting on the ledge and having a conversation with their neighbors, or watching the kids play below. That would be kind of difficult because of the construction and design of the buildings. However, the concept is great, I think. Pulling people in, a public gathering place, because lets face it, we need more of those in Phoenix. Your sister's idea of art on the walls, plants, and overall architectural interest is fantastic. Perhaps the beginnings of a community garden or a outdoor table with a few funky chairs. Or even a paint or tag your trash can contest. Hmmm not sure if that would be legal. Ok just blabbering...bored at work.

albie dear said...

Hey Robin...this is Becka's friend Amber. Last time Becka and I talked we discussed her blog and she told me that you had a blog as well and had this post about alleys. She asked me to give you some input and since I am so good at procrastinating (I am at work) I thought I would give my 2 cents. My memory of alleys are of my childhood when I lived in Colorado...in a tiny town called Berthoud. I remember vividly taking a shortcut through the alley close to our home...my brother and I are walking and we notice that the very mean dog that usually barks at us when we pass is very quiet. We casually walk by to realize he was not paying attention to passerbys because the gate was open and he was free. It was like a movie in slow motion...Aaron and I ran like we had never ran before just making it to our front door. Cindy (our step-mom) hearing our screams just happened to open it for us in the nick of time. It was absolutely classic. So my advice, no dogs...or no dog kennel access to the alley..Hahaha.