2.05.2009

What is This?

So, on Superbowl Sunday, I noticed a mark on my arm... the crease part opposite my elbow. Aaron had given me a piggy back ride from our room to the television so we could watch the game a while earlier. I didn't remember it hurting at any point but I went ahead and chalked the mark up to a burn from rubbing against Aaron's back. It got progressively worse through the evening and hurt like a rug burn would. The next day I noticed another faint mark on the wrist of my other arm. It also got worse and started itching the next day. Yesterday I noticed another mark running from my wrist, on the arm with the first mark, up to mid forearm. It kind of itches and kind of burns a little. Anyway, today I have yet another mark on my arm so, two marks on each arm. I'm noticing that some of them are spreading as water would on a floor. I've attached images... yay for the faint hearted! What is it? Oh, also, my lips feel gross. Kind of like their chapped but with little bumps. ??? What is happening to me? I don't have insurance so I won't go to the doctor unless I faint several times or can't breathe at all. I took Benadryl and it didn't make it better so it may not be an allergic reaction. 
 

Thinking of sunnier times, Aaron and I went to Superstition Mountains on Saturday. It was lovely, full of juicy succulent ground cover, hairy desert grass, and fun-shaped cactii with alienesque dangly fruits, and reminded me of dinosaurs. We'll hike further in next trip... we saw rock climbers and under-sky campers coming down from a trail that looked more adventurous as we were leaving. 

3 comments:

bioloquacious said...

okay, my first guess is that you probably encountered something on your hike that caused an allergic reaction. this is my advice (because i am VERY concerned):

wash those areas frequently!
apply calamine lotion and/or hydrocortisone cream to the areas and pay attention to their progress (like i know you will).
IF it gets worse, PLEASE DEAR GOD go see a doctor! just to be sure it isn't some kind of staph infection, obviously. don't touch any fun plants or anything cool that might be suspect. keep it clean! good luck!

BirdEtt said...

Thank you. Aaron bought me calamine and hydrocortisone cream. It's gotten worse the past two days and itches a lot. So, I called the doctor on Friday and he said to make sure I watch it closely, it's probably contact dermatitis, and to go to the emergency room if my tongue swells or my mouth gets itchy. I made an appointment for Monday since none of that sounds great and it hasn't gone away.
I'm not scratching though. And I'm trying not to freak out because I imagine that stress would make it worse:)

the main stitch upholstery said...

you are having an allergic reaction to something or you have a fungas. either way, it sucks. i hope the doctor can help.