2.12.2009

Nice Things

Before leaving Louisiana for architecture school in Arizona five and a half years ago, I was told by a unseemingly drunk woman of 80 years that she would help me receive a scholarship for interior design school. I was working at Foodies Kitchen and she and I had a funny chat while I helped her find a few items. She gave me a date and time to come to one of her lectures at the Longue View Gardens in Metairie. So I went. It turned out she was a textile designer from Europe. A cute, sweet, old thing. There were plenty of designers at the lecture. And me. I talked to her during a break and she didn't remember who I was or that she ever mentioned anything about school to me. Her assistant said she drinks at night and she probably forgot. Anyway, that was that but I've been interested in textile design ever since. She made tapestries mainly but I would love to design wall coverings and apparel fabric - and be an old lady who gets tipsy at night and goes around town having random, inspiring conversations with strangers (seriously, I would:)). 
Here are a few interesting pictures I found last week. The clothing looks like leaves or palm bark, but it's made of silk thread and other materials. 




3 comments:

the main stitch upholstery said...

these do look inspiring. you would rock as a textile desigener. you can send me awsome fabrics and i can turn them into awsome furniture.

BirdEtt said...

that's what i was thinking:)

Unknown said...

ooohhh...pretty.
Yeah. You'd rock it in the textile department. You have incredible creativity and also the ability to know what - and what not - to do.
You got into the most interesting conversations in New Orleans....some dangerous, some just interesting. I see them as signs.