5.28.2008

Learning to Network... or, Just Ask

So our CEO visited the satellite Phoenix office today and we went over our home life, goals personally and professionally, and the vision of the firm... etc etc. Business. At meeting's end (there were only three of us since our office is so small) he mentioned that the company will sponsor volunteer efforts, which was directed at me since I was the only one mentioning that as an involvement and remaining goal, and so I decided to send him inquiry into sponsoring the alley project. More than anything, I've learned to ask. I've never cared for asking because it's always seemed so tedious but it's also very necessary in order to get things moving and to make the process of change more efficient. In order to network, you have to ask right?

Hello Dan,

It was a pleasure speaking with you today and formalizing the direction of the company and where I, as an employee and as an individual, fit in with this firm both presently and in the future. I will contact Michelle, Tim, Ken and Danny soon. Michelle and Danny, just from speaking with you, seem to be in positions I am interested in pursuing in the next several years either in my personal life or as a profession. So, thank you again for your perspective, recommendations and direction.


A personal note:

Another project I will be focusing on in the coming year (beginning formally in December of 2008) is a grassroots level alley rehabilitation project. This is something my boyfriend Aaron and I would like to start and complete before leaving Arizona.

I live in downtown Phoenix a few blocks west of where a more dedicated approach to revitalization / renovation / new building has taken place. A few houses on our street are being renovated and things are looking much better but the process is slow, which I actually appreciate. Aaron and I live in a studio and decided we would share 256 square feet of living space (can you believe it?!) for us to have the opportunity to invest in our refugee volunteering as well as a side project to make our back alley look better and feel safer. Currently it is frequented by the homeless, which is not a problem so much as I think it appears. We would like to research grants to fund: undergrounding the utility lines; inserting solar lighting; designating a few of the telephone poles as historic markers that can also be used as community kiosks (as we live close to the Art Walk path and are surrounded by people who would love to publicly post things); landscaping; retaining recycling areas where the homeless can more easily access goods and in turn flow through the space at a faster pace; de-paving the alley and replacing with gravel or a more environmentally friendly material; our list of ideas goes on and on. I still have a lot of research to complete regarding grants and how this project will be organized and what I can realistically do both physically and legally.


You mentioned sponsorship briefly at the end of our meeting today. You knew of our volunteering efforts in the community but I was wondering if this project I plan to take on will fit in with the company's sponsorship capabilities in any way. Or, if not, I am curious to know if you have heard of something like this that another company member has completed from whom I could gain some direction.

Thank you for your time and I hope you have safe travels.
Best,


Robin

3 comments:

Jovi said...

i hate asking, too. so, good job on that! let us know how it goes...how long will you be in AZ? sounds like you might leave soon(ish)...

BirdEtt said...

we keep coming up with new ideas and what we'll do next. hopefully peace corps kind of soon but i'm not sure.
other things include grad school for aaron or just moving around a bit more. i don't know what i want to do for grad school yet.
we'll probably be in phoenix until november 2009 - through another year's lease. that way we can spend a year on the alley.

well, asking didn't get us anything... monetarily. (word?) but i guess now that i did it once i can do it again. Our congressman Ed Pastor seams cool. Maybe we'll call his office or something.
:) See ya.

Unknown said...

good job on the asking, Robin!
Yeah, it's hard, but when you're creative, you gotta put your ideas out there...someone or something will come through. you'll see.
love.